F1 Winter TESTs 2018, SPAIN -
Scudería Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel, PUSHING FOR THE 800km
“It was a good day’s work,” commented Sebastian Vettel at the end of the session.
“We managed to get through our programme, even if the conditions weren’t always ideal, because of the wind.”
Ferrari SF71H: Sebastian Vettel during his third day of Barcelona Winter Test March 2018
That’s the distance in kilometres covered by Seb today in the SF71H.
Montmelo circuit -
This time, the weather behaved itself with air temperature reaching 15 degrees and the track hitting 26. Only wind in the afternoon affected the session.
Scuderia Ferrari set to work on the dot of 9, the car doing some laps fitted with sensors to acquire data linked to the aerodynamics. After that came some relatively long runs, switching between the Soft and Medium compound tyres. It was on the latter that Seb set his fastest time in 1’20”396, on his 66th lap.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, testing continues with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel.
Test results -
1. S. Vettel, Scuderia Ferrari: 1:20.396 66 / 171
2. V. Bottas, Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport: 1:20.596 43 / 86
3. M. Verstappen, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing: 1:20.649 58 / 130
4. L. Hamilton, Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport: 1:20.808 58 / 91
5. P. Gasly, Red Bull Toro Rosso: 1:20.973 15 / 54
6. K. Magnussen, Haas F1 Team: 1:21.298 23 / 96
7. N. Hulkenberg, Renault Sport Formula One Team: 1:21.432 34 / 48
8. C. Sainz, Renault Sport Formula One Team: 1:21.455 86 / 91
9. S. Sirotkin, WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING: 1:21.588 26 / 42
10. S. Perez, Sahara Force India F1 Team: 1:21.643 65 / 93
11. M. Ericsson, Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team: 1:21.706 91 / 120
12. S. Vandoorne, McLaren F1 Team: 1:21.946 13 / 38
13. L. Stroll, WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING: 1:22.937 43 / 86
Mercedes AMG Petronas: Lewis Hamilton:
It's been a good day. We've got through everything we needed and put good mileage on the car -
The biggest challenge we faced today was to get the tyres working properly on this new track surface. The medium tyre was difficult to get working; the soft tyre is better for warm-
Overall it's been a good start to the second test although there is not a whole lot to say at this moment. We have not worked too much on fine-
The conditions today were much better than last week and we're all really happy about that. We got lots of valuable data today. This morning we focused on medium to long runs, trying different mechanical setups of the car.
In these weather conditions we start to really work the tyres and we had a few issues to manage. So we had a few more challenges with the tyres than we had last week, but at least now they can warm up.
We keep discovering more about the new car, learning how it reacts to different settings. We did more than 80 laps -
In considerably improved weather conditions, the F1 W09 EQ Power+ ran for a total of 824 kilometres, with Valtteri and Lewis both completing similar mileages.
Valtteri ran through a series of fundamental set-
Lewis worked on a number of recovery strategies for potential sensor failures and tried out aerodynamic bodywork parts for the upcoming season
Fotos: copyright Scuderia Ferrari and Mercedes AMG Petronas, all rights reserved.